Steam Whistle Beer and Cheddar Soup
This recipe was submitted by Laurie Tester, from Liaison College, Barrie, Ontario.
This soup has the three "B's:" beer, beef and bacon!
Laurie has been passionate about food since she was old enough to push a chair to the stove and stir a pot. Laurie is a student chef at Liaison Culinary Institute, in Barrie, Ontario. She has completed Chef Level 1 and is presently enrolled in the patisserie class. Laurie continues to gain experience in the culinary field by working with personal chefs, private caterers and looking at every opportunity to expand her culinary knowledge. She is looking forward to opening her own restaurant and catering business in the very near future.
In a Dutch oven over medium heat melt butter. Add onions and sauté until translucent. Add flour mixing with the butter to make a roux. Cook over low heat until thick, approximately 5 minutes. Slowly whisk in Steam Whistle beer and broth. Bring to a simmer, add chipotle peppers, cumin, salt and pepper. Allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
Add heavy cream, allow to simmer for an additional 10 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Remove from heat and stir in cheddar cheese.
Serve soup in warm bowl and garnish with additional grated cheddar, bacon and cheddar cheese bread sticks.
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 large clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 0.25 cup (62.5 ml) butter
- 0.25 cup (62.5 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1 bottle (341 ml) of Steam Whistle Pilsner
- 2 cups (500 ml) beef stock
- 2 Chipotle in Adobo, chopped
- 1 tsp (5 ml) cumin powder
- 1 tsp (5 ml) sea salt
- 0.25 tsp (1.25 ml) ground black pepper
- 1 cup (250 ml) packed, grated old cheddar cheese
- 1 cup (250 ml) 35% heavy cream
- 0.5 cup (125 ml) crispy fried bacon or pancetta