Chili con Carne with Steam Whistle Beer
This recipe was submitted by Greg Gordon, from Liaison College, Vaughn, Ontario.
Greg Gordon, 20, was first introduced to cooking commercially in 2004 at a conference resort in Haliburton, Ont. It was just supposed to be a summer job, but he fell hard for the industry. He ended up taking his Gr. 11 co-op placement there, which basically ended up being an apprenticeship. He has since worked at several different restaurants in the area, but started to lose interest in cooking because he didn't enjoy his work environments.
In the summer of 2008, he got a position as first cook at 3 Guys and a Stove, in the Village of Blue Mountain. They pushed him back into cooking and helped him find his respect for the industry again. Currently, he is studying at the Vaughn campus of Liaison College, and aspires to be a certified Red Seal Chef by the end of 2009.
Place oil in a large stockpot and heat to a medium heat. Add the ground beef, the garlic, red pepper, jalapeno, and onion to the stockpot. Sauté until half soft, than add the Steam Whistle beer. Stir in chili powder, brown sugar, oregano, and cumin. Add tomatoes and tomato sauce. Simmer on low heat for 15 min. Add black beans, red kidney beans, and corn off the cob. Cook for an additional 20 min.
- 1 cup (250 ml) Steam Whistle Pilsner
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 14 oz (398 ml) can black beans, drained
- 14 oz (398 ml) can red kidney beans, drained
- 14 oz (398 ml) bag corn off the cob, frozen
- 15 oz (420 ml) can tomato sauce
- 28 oz (784 ml) can diced tomato.
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 medium Jalapeno, de-seed and mince
- 1 large Red onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) chili powder
- 1.5 tbsp (22.5 ml) brown sugar
- 3 tsp (15 ml) dried oregano
- 2.5 tbsp (37.5 ml) cumin
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) Worcestershire sauce.