Pulled Pickled Pig
For about a 6-8 lb. pork shoulder/Boston Butt
Brine the pork overnight - the general consensus is that it should be for 8-12 hours of brining in the fridge. For these big buggers, we recommend stuffing it into a big "Ziploc" bag to prevent spills.
Once you're done brining, pull out the pork, dry it off, and apply the dry rub.
Pop it into the slow cooker on LOW for around 8 - 10 hours; it's easy to tell when it's done - a fork will easily plow straight through it.
You can add a touch of Steam Whistle Pilsner into the slow cooker if you're feeling generous!
For Pulled Pork Sandwiches, I use our Steam Whistle BBQ sauce (on the side) created by Team Cedar Grilling. You can watch the video here for directions on how to make it, or continue reading on.
Directions for the Steam Whistle BBQ Sauce:
Combine all ingredients in a saucepan, bring to a boil and simmer uncovered, stirring for 20 minutes. Refrigerate any unused sauce.
- 3/4 Cup Molasses
- 1 1/2 Cup pickling salt
- 2 bottles of Steam Whistle (you must have enough beer to submerge the pork)
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp ground pepper
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
Steam Whistle BBQ Sauce (optional)
- 1 bottle Steam Whistle Pilsner
- 2 cups (500ml) Heinz ketchup
- 1/4 cup (50ml) brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (50ml) white vinegar
- 3 tbs (45ml) honey
- 2 tsp (10ml) Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp (5ml) chili powder
- 1 tsp (5ml) dried mustard
- 1 tsp (5ml) onion powder
- 1 tsp (5ml) garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp (2ml) fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp (2ml) ground coriander seed
- 1/4 tsp (1ml) cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp (1ml) ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp (1ml) cayenne pepper