Moose Brewski Chili
Adapted from Chef Gerry Crewe's Cooking with Beer; Favourites of Newfoundland and Labrador
Melt butter in saucepan. Add onions & garlic and cook until tender. Add moose meat and brown. Add tomatoes, puree or paste, beer, and spices. Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add kidney beans and simmer 10 to 15 minutes. Serve with good bread and bowls of self-serve toppings of sour cream, green onions, bacon and cheddar.
Serves 10 to 12 persons.
- 6 Tbsp. butter
- 3 large onions, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 lbs. ground moose meat
- 60 oz. cruisted tomatoes (tin or fresh)
- 6 oz. tomato puree or paste
- 8 oz. Steam Whistle Pilsner
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 3 Tbsp. Chili powder
- Dash of tobacco sauce or cayenne pepper - to taste
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- 2 (28-oz.) cans red kidney beans