Blue Whistle Sliders
College: Liaison Hamilton
Student Name: Shari Huffman
2oz (56g) Prosciutto, cut into 8 pieces sized to cover top of burger patty(accounting for shrinkage during frying)
8 fiddleheads (well-formed)
Romaine lettuce leaves for base (for presentation if desired)
Making the buns
- Combine dry ingredients and pinch in cold butter until finely mixed.
- Bloom yeast in warmed milk and and egg to mixture.
- Combine and knead until dough is springing back.
- Proof until doubled in size
- Punch down and form into small buns (about 1.5 oz )
- Proof again until buns are increased to desired size.
- Bake in 375 F oven.
Making the veal
- Combine Panko crumbs with the buttermilk and allow crumbs to soak up the liquid and soften.
- Add to ground veal
- Add minced prosciutto, cheese and the rest of the ingredients.
- Sample a small amount of cooked ground veal mixture and adjust seasonings.
- Form into 2oz patties
Making the fig spread
- Chop figs into small uniform pieces and sauté with a small amount of butter.
- Add minced garlic and sweat.
- Add beer and deglaze. Reduce au sec
- Add balsamic vinegar and blue cheese, stir until almost melted.
For the garnishes:
- Fry prosciutto pieces in oil until crispy. Place directly on slider patty.
- Blanch fiddleheads. Sauté in small amount of butter with salt and pepper to season.
- Place on top of the prosciutto slice.
For the veal:
16oz ( 454g) ground Delft Blue veal
2oz ( 56g) Panko bread crumbs
6oz (176ml) buttermilk
2floz (58ml) heavy cream
2floz ( 58ml) whole egg
2oz ( 56g) prosciutto
2 oz ( 56g) grated parmesan cheese
to taste oyster sauce
to taste hot Chili sauce
to taste ground black pepper
For the fig spread:
6oz (170g) ( about 8) dried figs
5.8 floz (170ml) ( 1/2 bottle) Steam Whistle Pilsner
4 cloves garlic minced, macerated
2oz (56g) blue cheese
to taste balsamic vinegar
to taste salt and ground black pepper
For the buns:
8 oz (226g) bread flour
8 oz (226g) pastry flour
2oz (56g) cocoa
2.2oz (63g) butter
1.6oz (92g) sugar
2oz (58ml) whole egg
10 oz (294ml) milk
.38 oz (10.6g) yeast
.25oz (7g) salt