Steam Whistle Bread
Recipe by Hanna Trafford.
In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, sugar, mustard and salt. Stir in the cheese, green onions and basil, mix until cheese pieces are coated.
Pour in Steam Whistle Pilsner and stir just until blended and no dry spots remain
This is what the batter looks like before you put it into the baking pan
Spoon batter into greased 9 x 5 inch bread pan and smooth the top. Arrange onion slices on tol of the batter. If you wish, you can sprinkle sesame seeds over the top
Bake in preheated 350F oven for 50 – 55 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
Let stand on a wire rack for about 5 minutes before slicing
This bread may be prepared ahead of serving, tastes the best when warm When you need to warm it up, wrap the loaf in aluminum foil and reheat at 325F for about 15-20 minutes.
- 2-3/4 cups of flour
- 1 tablespoon of baking powder
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoon of dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1-1/2 cups of cheddar cheese, cut into small pieces or shredded
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons of dried basil
- 1 bottle of beer (341 ml) at room temperature
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced