Smokey Joe's Charcoal Burgers with Beery Onions
Old Black Joe, a past CPR worker in the Roundhouse is said to haunt this building. This recipe was created in his honour. Stoke the charcoal in your BBQ - as Old Black Joe used to stoke the coal fires of the Steam Engines resting in the Roundhouse for repair - and get ready for some grilling!
Mix the beef, 1/4 cup of Steam Whistle, egg, bread crumbs, celery, red peppers, cheese and all the remaining ingredients until well combined. Form into 8 patties. Grill the burgers on medium heat for 6-7 minutes per side until the meat is no longer pink.
While the burgers are cooking, prepare the onions. Melt the butter in a pan. Add onions, stirring until softened. Add sugar and stir until the onions begin to deepen in colour, about 2 minutes. Add the remaining beer. Simmer gently, uncovered for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring frequently. The beer should evaporate. Season with salt & pepper. Top the burgers with onions.
Nifty bun alternatives are pita bread, wraps and sourdough bread.
For the Burgers
- 1-1/2 lb. ground beef (sirloin preferred)
- /4 cup from a bottle of Steam Whistle Pilsner
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup dried bread crumbs chopped parsley
- 1 Tbsp. Worchestershire sauce
- 2 tsp. sage
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup celery, finely diced
- 1/4 cup red pepper, finely diced
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 3 large onions, sliced in rings
- Tbsp sugar
- remaining STEAM WHISTLE from the bottle