Steam Whistle Pancakes with Steam Whistle Walnut Syrup
Created by Mario Francella, budding chef, from the Liaison College in Toronto. Liaison College educates the largest number of chefs and cooks in Ontario.
To make the syrup, combine all the ingredients and simmer the mixture until it thickens and remove from heat.
1. To make pancakes, heat butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add onions and cook until softened, about 4 minutes, and set aside.
2. In a mixing bowl whisk beer, eggs and vanilla. Stir in onions and butter. Add pancake mix, cinnamon, nutmeg and stir. Let stand for 3-5 minutes.
3. Make little pancakes, cooking until golden brown. Add syrup. Open a bottle of Steam Whistle and enjoy!
For the Syrup
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup Steam Whistle Pilsner
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
For the Pancakes
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup Vindalia onions, chopped
- 1 cup Steam Whistle Pilsner
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups pancake mix
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg