Steam Whistle Chowder
This recipe was submitted by Michelle Krasovec, from Liaison College.
Bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil. Add whole mini potatoes and cook until slightly tender (about 15min). Drain and quarter.
Meanwhile in a pot, heat the butter, and slowly sweat carrots, celery, shallot, garlic and thyme, until tender. Add flour to make a roux, stir for a few minutes to cook out the flour-y taste. Slowly add chicken stock to form veloute. Simmer for a few minutes and then add beer and potatoes. Continue to simmer until all vegetables are tender (10-15 min). Finish by stirring in cream, with salt and pepper to taste.
- 2 tbsp (30ml) butter
- 3 mini carrots, diced small
- 1/2 stalk of celery, diced small
- 1 small shallot, diced small
- 1 small clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 thyme sprigs, leaves picked
- 3 tbsp (45ml) flour
- 1.5 cups (375 ml) Low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) Steam Whistle Pilsner
- 5 mini potatoes, quartered
- 1/2 cup (125ml) 10% cream
- Salt and pepper, to taste